THE CARROLL COUNTY CIVIL WAR MEMORIAL
By W.H. Sparboe
When: The Civil War Memorial is located on the courthouse square in Mount Carroll, IL and was dedicated on 6 October 1891.
Why: (These words appear on the northwest face of the memorial.)
TO THE MEMORY OF
THE MEN WHO SAVED THE
UNION THAT THEIR
EXAMPLE MAY SPEAK TO
Battles Memorialized: Donelson Shiloh Vicksburg
Nashville Atlanta Chicamauga
Wilderness Resaca Gettysburg
Stone River Hatchee Corinth
Army Corps Memorialized: Just below the statue at the top of the monument there
are eight engraved symbols to represent the corps that
men from Carroll County fought with during the war.
Corps: 1st (circle or disk), 4th (triangle), 14th (acorn),
15th (cartridge box with numeral 40), 17th (arrow), 19th
(Maltese Cross), 20th (star), and 23rd (shield).
Material used in the memorial: Barre granite from Vermont
Annex: The monument was not large enough to list all the names of Carroll County’s
Civil War soldiers, so an annex, reportedly unique, was added.
Statues on the memorial: A standard, or flag-bearer, stands on top, 50 feet above the ground. An infantryman faces Krafts and a cavalryman
faces the bank. (This last figure is believed to have been
sculpted by the noted artist, Lorado Taft.)
Cannons: The long, cast-iron, rifled cannon pointing at Pharmacy Center is probably a Navy Parrott. It has a bore of 4.2”, which has been eroded due to corrosion. It weighs 3530 pounds and used a 3.75-pound charge to fire a 30-pound explosive shell nearly three miles. The “R.P.P.” engraved on the gun stands for its designer, Robert Parker Parrott.
The Parrott was a cheap gun, easily manufactured, simple to use, and, if properly constructed, very tough. It was made in two parts with a heated iron sleeve forced over the rear portion of the gun to give it added strength. Alas, this type of gun sometimes exploded on firing usually killing or maiming most of the crew.
The short, cast-iron cannon is an 8” smoothbore howitzer that weighs 2607 pounds. It fired a 60-75-pound ball by means of a four-pound charge of gunpowder. It was cast at the Ft. Pitt foundry in 1862.